Monday, March 16, 2009

Rome Omnium

Cat3 - Time Trial - 5th, Crit - DNF, Road Race 23rd, Overall 25th.

Tough 2 days of racing in the cold rain. Saturday 8:39 am TT start time at 40 degrees, wind and cold rain 2 hours away. Little warm-up (couldn't find the race location and sign-up was a little slow). 289 avg watts for the TT, 15:44 time. Lower power than I wanted and lower than the longer event at Tundra but I went faster so I think my new TT position is working for me. Avg hr only 169 (it was freezing). My teammates, Adam got first and Nate got 2nd. I got 6 points for 5th.

I sat around all day in the rain until our 5:30 crit. Waffle House breakfast, Subway lunch, tried to go to the movies but nothing started until 2:00. Read a book. Note for the future, this is very hard on me. Felt OK before the start, warmed up. Wet roads, 6 turns with a climb just before the start finish. On lap number 6 my front wheel slid out on an off camber corner, slid about 4 feet but managed to save it and keep the bike up. After that I was nervous going into each corner and had to work hard out of the corner to close the gaps. It only took a couple more laps of repeated accelerating before the legs couldn't keep up with the group. Poor end to the day. Left at 5:30am and got home at 8:30pm.

Sunday's road race is said the be the hardest course all year. 52 miles of rollers with a 2 mile climb half way and again at the finish with the early sections at 9% grade. Again, raining wet and cold. 40 riders on the Cat 3’s. My job for the day (since I can't climb) was to keep the group together until the first climb, since Nate was in 1st on the GC and Adam was in 3rd. Sometimes pushing the pace so no one goes off the front, chasing people down, closing gaps or just plan taking up the road so no one comes around (small roads and you can't go over the yellow line). Hatfield and I did our jobs and I spent an hour on the front of the race before the climb. My legs were close to toast when we hit the climb and we moved out of the way and let the peleton go by. My job was done. From there it turned it into a training ride and worked with one other rider on the second lap. And we worked too because our avg speed was just as fast on my solo loop as with the peleton. We passed dozens of riders either slow, blown or quitting. I finished at the top 7 minutes after the last person from the broken peleton and 30 seconds before the masters racers finished (who started 5 minutes after us). Another teammate took 3rd for the day and first overall, Kirk Corsello, in the masters race. 8 mile ride down the mountain back to the start. Avg power for 2 hours 36 minutes 218 watts. Normalized power 248 watts(calculation based on smoothing out the high power output and lower power output if you just worked at a steady effort and what your body thinks happed). Nate finished 1st overall and Adam 3rd. Good day for the team. I’m hoping this gets my legs ready for races more suited to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment